More police overreach in the name of "security" and "terrorism"

Discussion in 'Civil Rights & Privacy' started by Lisa Simeone, Jan 19, 2012.

  1. Lisa Simeone

    Lisa Simeone Original Member

    A snapshot of our times
    The ALCU of Southern California is suing.
     
    nachtnebel likes this.
  2. Sunny Goth

    Sunny Goth Original Member Coach

    It's like mass hysteria - see something, say something. When I read stories like this I always wonder if this is what it was like during the McCarthy era.

    > Furthermore, digital cameras — your cellphone probably has one — are so inexpensive and ubiquitous that photography has become a form of fidgeting: Facebook users upload 7.5 billion photos every month.

    This raises reasonable suspicions not of terrorism but of narcissism, which is a national problem but not for law enforcement.

    So very true. ;)
     
    RadioGirl likes this.
  3. Lisa Simeone

    Lisa Simeone Original Member

    Precisely.
     
  4. TravelnMedic

    TravelnMedic Original Member

    I get this crap all the time when I'm shooting (tripod or handheld ) during the day Night time not so much but normally my night photography midnight or later.

    More often then not it's "know it all" citizens & wannabe cops and I tell'em off that "I'm on public property and there's nothing illegal" and I pull out my credentials lanyard and a copy of the photographers rights PDF print out and give it to them. I know it's been posted here before, and I'll post it again once I get home. Giving them that page shuts down 95% of the nosey ninneys. It's the other 5% that cause headaches and require more shock and awe approach and LE involvement to shut the idiot up.

    Oh wait this came from the uber paranoid state of California, so I'm not surprised.
     
  5. nachtnebel

    nachtnebel Original Member

    Crime rates are increasing in California, partly due to forced early releases of prisoners (resulting in higher sexual assault rates), partly due to high unemployment, partly due to increased activity from Mexico-based gangs.

    Yet you, with your tripod and camera, are seen as a threat.
     
  6. TravelnMedic

    TravelnMedic Original Member

    California is it's own world unto itself for issues. I think a lot of the issues stem from the stupid gun control measures and other stupid laws. We don't have these issues in Texas... Then again must be the southern morals and etiquette.

    Why yes if I swing that tripod just right I can pretty much drive someone's skull into the next county.
     

Share This Page